- “Higher pitches in singing need more breath, as that is the primary means of supporting a high frequency.”
- “Take a big breath before speaking or singing anything.”
- “I need to push breath out with the abdominal muscles in order to make sound.”
- “If I don’t manage my breath consciously, it won’t work.”
- “If I take deep breath quickly, it is impossible for the air to come in quietly.”
- “Deep breathing exercises are the answer.”
- “If my voice is breathy, I need more ‘support,’ or “…I need to use more breath.”
To read an insightful text that explores these misconceptions in further depth, check out the book “Voice and the Alexander Technique” by Jane Ruby Heirich.